This quick post is about why you shouldn’t trip over Valentine’s Day. Don’t get me wrong, I think it can be a really sweet day where people get to express themselves in a loving and special way. However, I do think it can also be a day of pressure and anxiety for those without a significant other, or those thinking they have to be extravagant and pull out all the stops. Below is why I think we should chill on the intensity:
· Don’t have a significant other? So what? Who said Valentine’s Day has to be about romantic love? Yes, if you let media and the stores that have had pink and red hearts up and down their aisles since December tell it, it’s only about being snuggled up with your honey. I don’t know about you, but I have family, friends, and a very adorable dog that I can love and show appreciation to.
· Rose petals leading up to the bed after dining on champagne and oysters? Sure! Pizza and a binge watching session of House of Cards before the new season comes out? Sure! A quiet walk around the neighborhood? Sure! My point is, Valentine’s Day doesn’t have to look like the movies. It can look any way you want. The point is that you are comfortable and feel loved with whoever you’re with. Don’t stress!
· Don’t break the bank. Just, don’t. I know people want to make their significant others feel special, but if you have to eat ramen noodles or PB&J sandwiches for 3 weeks until you can recover financially, maybe there should be some reevaluation involved. Look at the big picture and see if that new item is really feasible. Gifts are great, but you should not be strained when I’m sure your partner would love your quality time and affection. What’s more valuable?
· Is this your 1st Valentine’s Day with someone? Spending it with someone new? Nice. I’d like to encourage folks to keep the pressure to a minimum. Valentine’s Day does NOT equal I’m Guaranteed Sex Night. Nope. If that’s your intention with someone, you better state it up front! Hey, maybe the other person is down for the cause. Don’t think that someone gives you their time or money, or you spend time or money, that sex is a guarantee. Be honest and have the best intentions please.
· We happen to celebrate Valentine’s Day on February 14th. But guess what? March 3rd, May 2nd , July 16th , October 23rd, and ALL the other days on the calendar are also Valentine’s Day! Didn’t y’all hear what Andre 3000 said? Every day is the 14th! This holiday has been so hyped that sometimes we feel we have to dump ALL of the love we ever had into this ONE day. We have 364 other days to show love too! I don’t want to take away the meaning some people have put into this day- for some, Valentine’s Day is magic. Keep that idea! I just also want to put it out there that any and every day can be magical. Spread the love around! J
· My last point is that YOU ARE LOVED. Point. Blank. Period. I better not see any of you moping around because you have SO much love surrounding you, that just one day cannot contain it! Take a second to think of the people and things you are grateful for. Feel that? That’s awesomeness. Be thankful for the love that you had, instead of being upset about the love you think you want.
Well, my friends, that’s all I have to say for now. I’d love to hear your thoughts and any additional advice you’d add to my list. Have a loving Valentine’s Day, however you may celebrate it!!
Leave a Reply.
Sexy people rock.